Thursday, April 7, 2011

One on One with Isaiah Austin


By: Kevin Duffy

When you see a 7 footer with a 7'5 wingspan who also has perimeter skills you are probably looking at a top prospect. I don't know how many people you will see with those credentials but Baylor University has landed one of them in the class of 2012 with center Isaiah Austin.Grant Jerrett, another top 2012 prospect, says that Isaiah is, "a 7 footer who's lanky and can handle the rock like a point guard".Austin is ranked as the #2 overall player in his class according to Rivals.com. Recently I had the chance to talk with Isaiah about various topics including Baylor, his game, and his summer schedule. He attends Grace Preparatory Academy in Texas and is very excited to play under Coach Drew at Baylor.

KD: What were the reasons you decided on Baylor?
IA: The coaching staff. Coach Drew and the staff kept in touch with me every day and it's close to home.

KD: Talk about maybe your future teammates Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello:
IA: Not sure if Quincy will be there when I'm there but I will probably play with Deuce. I've seen him a couple times on the circuit and I'm just excited to play for Coach Drew and to be a Baylor Bear.

KD:Is there any player you're trying to bring to Baylor?
IA: Right now, I'm trying to bring in a nice point guard like Archie Goodwin. I'll try to get L.J Rose. I'm definitely going to be in some people's ears on the circuit this year.

KD: How long do you see yourself in college?
IA: You know, I really don't know. I could stay one year, I could stay four years. It depends on how I play.

KD:What are your best characteristics you bring to a team?
IA: I bring a lot of energy you know if I have a block or a big dunk I scream. I like to get my team hype. I'm also a character, I'm a goof ball and it brings us closer as a team.

KD: Who do you compare your game to and why?
IA: I'd probably say Austin Daye. He's long and athletic. He can handle the rock and he can also play the perimeter well.

KD: Who's game do you study?
IA: Before games, mostly KG(Kevin Garnett) and some of his post moves against stronger defenders and Kevin Durant's moves because he's not the strongest but he uses his quickness to get around bigger defenders.

KD: What do you feel you have to improve?
IA: I got to get stronger, you know. I can get pushed around on the block by stronger defenders. Other than that I'm trying to get my quickness up.

KD: Who do you think is the best player in your class?
IA: Other than myself the best player I've seen is probably Shabazz Muhammad because he just can't be stopped on offense. he does it so easy.

KD:What camps will you be going to this summer?
IA: I'll be at the LeBron(James) and the (Amare) Stoudemire camps. Then I'll be doing Adidas Nations again.

KD: What are your goals for next season?
IA: Definitely repeating as state champions. I want to get another ring. Also I want to play in the McDonald's Game and the Jordan All American Game.

KD: What do you have to say to Baylor Nation?
IA: I'll be rooting for them next year with Deuce and Quincy. We're gonna be doing some big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment