Monday, April 11, 2011

Perry Ellis: Making a Legacy


By: Kevin Duffy

What's the first thing you think of when you hear "Perry Ellis"? The clothing line? Or maybe the Kansas high school basketball legend?

The latter is a 6'8 forward out of Wichita who has won three State titles and has acquired three Mr. Basketball awards in Kansas. Oh and by the way, he's only a junior.

Ellis,the ball player, previously trimmed his very long list of outstanding schools to six. The six which are Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Memphis, Oklahoma, and Wichita State have all built through relationships with Ellis and his family."Well, all six schools had been recruiting me for a really long time. I had built relationships with all the coaches," Ellis said. "Several have been recruiting me since 8th grade. I want to feel comfortable and all these schools recruiting me have made me feel that way".Ellis said he has no timetable for a decision except that he plans to evaluate his recruitment after the summer.

Last Sunday, Perry participated in the East-West All American Game in Houston. He scored 14 and pulled in a team high 8 boars enough to garner the Most Valuable Player Award.

"It was my first year there",Ellis stated."I wanted to do good so I could come back over the years-putting on a legacy. I feel blessed to be able to go there."

In due time a "legacy" is exactly what Perry will leave on Kansas hoops. Already people are putting him right up there with the best ever in Kansas hoops. However this humble star just wants to play his game and not get caught up in that, he told me, "I really don't think about that too much there have really been a lot of great players in Kansas over the years. I am just honored that I am mentioned with them."

The basketball phenom just wants his game to do the talking. "Hope you get a chance to come and watch me play this summer" is good advice from this young superstar. I suggest you listen.

Additional Questions with Perry

How do you feel about Lon Kruger taking over at Oklahoma?
I have not talked to Coach Kruger yet but he did call my AAU coach Steve Young and is planning to contact me.

What are your best characteristics you bring to a team?
I am a team player, versatile, know how to win, and a hard worker.

Who's game do you study?
Kevin Durant and LeBron James.

What are your goals for next season?
To win a 4th State championship.

What do you feel you have to improve?
I just want to keep working hard on all parts of my game. I think my defense can always improve.

How long do you see yourself in college?
I am not sure yet I will just have to see how things go.

Who do you think is the best player in your class?
Rather not answer this question there are so many great players in the 2012 class. It's just loaded with talent.

What are the best camps you have attended?
I think the best camps I had attended were the Vince Carter and Kevin Durant Nike Skills Academies. Both Vince and Kevin worked with us individually and really cared and wanted to help us get better.

How was the All American Championship?
It was a great experience. It was fun to play with all the great talent. It was even better that the West team won too.

No comments:

Post a Comment